Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Triathalon of My Dreams



I sometimes have very entertaining dreams and some of those sometimes my dreams hold a lesson for me. Last night was one of those dreams.

I dreamed that I was registered to participate in a triathlon, but instead of swimming, bicycling and running, I recall only the first leg of the race which involved hopping on one foot. The race took place on the main street of a small town with crowds standing by to cheer us all on.

I was in the lineup of other hoppers, unsure if I could even do the event. I'm happy to report, however, I was not feeling anxious or upset, just open to try. Before the gun went off, we all began hopping in place and I found it to be difficult to maintain balance. It wasn't easy or comfortable. After a few moments, the starting gun fired and we all took off to hop the 6 mile course.

What was amazing to me was to find that it was easier to hop ahead, rather than in place. I felt free and had fun propelling myself forward, passing many of the other hoppers that seemed to prefer staying in one place.

Although it took more energy to move ahead, it seemed natural and easy. I felt exhilaration and great joy just to do it. Winning the race was not important since I knew my win was to learn moving was better than standing still.

The metaphor for life was obvious to me. As I hopped along the course, I was overjoyed to see the connection to how staying in the same familiar mindset or experience due to a fear of what's ahead, or having a lack of confidence in winning, or possibly just being afraid I may fall down along the way, would limit my dream for a great life.

This hopping dream showed me that regardless of the outcome, moving ahead in life by trying new things, going to new places and giving myself new challenges, will certainly create a more stimulating and fulfilling experience of life than simply standing still.

Perhaps when I fall asleep tonight, I will experience the other legs of the triathlon. I'm hoping one of them is skipping.

No comments: