Thursday, September 10, 2009

Tolerance is NOT Enough



Whenever I hear someone claiming to be "tolerant", I notice I shudder. I cringe. I bite my lip...and sometimes even bite my tongue. I believe there is a general belief that tolerance is a good thing, yet to me, tolerance has never measured up to be enough. I believe we need to exhibit more than tolerance to one another.

The definition of tolerance that I think many believe can often mean that even though one disapproves, they will allow another's point of view, or way of life. When I think of tolerance, I picture someone with a pinched face and tight body language stating they don't approve, but they will tolerate. That, my friends, is not enough for me.

I want more than tolerance. I want openness to truly hear a point of view that differs from them. I want someone to be with me with compassion and understanding. It doesn't mean they must agree with my point of view, but I do want them to see me beyond what I say and do. I want unconditional love. There....I said it. Yep, that is what I am asking for. I don't want to have to please you or match you. I want to be who I am in any given moment and be seen, heard and most of all, loved.

I have a magnet on my fridge that says "I can't stand intolerance". I suppose I am being called to love the intolerant.

No comments: