Wednesday, December 3, 2008

A Life Well Lived


Imagine fast forwarding your life to a point that you know it will be ending soon. As you look back in reflection, what will you see? What feelings will reviewing your life create for you? Will you feel satisfied and complete, or will there be regrets? Will you you be seeing your life as well lived, or a life that missed the mark? If you can imagine that mental review, will the life you're living now be one you will surely say is well lived years from now?

If your answer is "Yes", then congratulate yourself, stay on the same track and enjoy the ride. If your answer is "No", then I suggest you take a close look at what specifically in your life detracts from it being well lived now.

I am very happy to say my life is currently being well lived. That is true, and I believe always will be, not due to my accomplishments, but because of my focus on making life choices that create fulfillment.

So what is fulfilment? It can mean something different to each of us. For me, it is to enjoy my life process and to have joy be present as I live it. It is about being filled with love and joy as each experience is lived out. It is not about how much money I make or where I live or the cars I drive that will determine if my life is fulfilled and well lived. After all, I could lose my ability to work, lose my money, home, car and even my health, yet can still have love and joy. It is for that reason, I can guarantee looking back on my life will bear evidence of it being well lived.

If my life continues to be filled with opportunities to have fun, to make new friends, to deepen relationships already present, to serve others, to create, to be challenged, to grow, to learn new things, to travel, to have adventures, and to be healthy, then all of that will be icing on my cake of life.

You see, it is not the absolute need for any of those experiences that will make my life well lived, they will only enhance my experience of it. It is feeling joyful, loving and grateful for what is present in any given moment that will make life well lived for me.


What needs to be present for your life to be well lived?



No comments: