Monday, March 2, 2009

There's No Place Like Home


A few days ago, my husband I attended a local high school production of The Wizard of Oz. It was a great show and I thoroughly enjoyed seeing many of my students playing the familiar roles.

As a child, this was a favorite movie for me and my siblings. It was one of our family traditions to gather in front of the television set with fear and delight as the metaphorical story unfolded, even though we knew how it ended.

Probably the most famous line from the story is "There's no place like home". Dorothy's reference was her home in Kansas....the home she previously rejected. As I thought about this line, I saw home in a different context, meaning my true self....the real me....the essence of who I am. Just like Dorothy, there are times I also forget the truth and will reject "home".

There is no place like home since it is the one place I can always return and always find love. My "home" knows the truth of who I really am. When I am home I trust that I am cared for. When I remember who I really am, I cannot be harmed....I am eternally safe. When I am home (connected to the truth of me) I need not try to impress. I have no need to blame or judge. Being home is freedom.

When I forget about home, or if I should condemn it or reject it, I am lost. All that matters most to me seems out of reach.

All Dorothy had to do was click her heels together three times and repeat this famous line. Although I don't have ruby slippers, I can do the same. All I have to do is pause to remember the truth about me and soon I am home once again.

No comments: