Thursday, June 4, 2009

At a Glance



I am frequently amused by the way my mind works (or doesn't work) and this morning I laughed out loud at a source of inspiration while walking in the cemetery.

I was finishing up my third lap and was listening to my i pod. I was a bit distracted by what I was listening to, but noticed a tombstone that I had not seen before. There it was in full view, straight ahead. What I saw at a glance was Kates Button, which made me smile. As I looked closer, I saw what was really written, which was Kate S. Button.

I decided to play with my initial interpretation of Kate's Button and what that meant to me. First of all, I thought about what or who, pushes my buttons. There have been a few people in my life, thankfully none at the present time, that I have allowed to get my goat. I allowed them to steal my joy and upset me, which I would consider button pushing. Having my button pushed in that way does not feel very good. In fact, it is a feeling of being victimized. Over the years, I have become quite adept at identifying button pushers and have learned to keep my button off limits.

From there, my mind went to thoughts about what pushes my button that makes me feel on or that which takes me from dullness to aliveness. Many things came to mind such as the company of certain people, travel experiences, some challenges, my work, dancing, yoga and many other activities that I love to do. My own thoughts can even push my on button.

This little error at a glance kept me entertained for the walk home. I'm grateful for Kate S. Button for keeping me alert and tuned into that which creates joy and that which takes it away.

No comments: