Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Tuned Into the Shift



My son has always been tuned into mechanical things and how they work. When he was just a toddler, strapped into his car seat, he was giving me advice on how to drive.

One day I was driving the back roads of Tioga County in my standard shift 1981 Volvo. I was going uphill and the engine was straining a bit in fourth gear. Just before I put my hand on the gear shift, I heard a small voice come from the backseat, saying "Downshift, Mommy".

I was amazed that my three year old child was tuned in enough to hear the engine and know what the car needed in the moment. It was a memorable lesson for me that when we are tuned in to life, we also have a sense of what is needed in any moment.

Our signals to shift in life are often subtle, so we must pay close attention and not fall asleep at the wheel.

No comments: