Friday, January 1, 2010

A Simple Thank You



This is one of my favorite days of the year. I know I can renew and update my dreams and desires for life at any point in time, but for some reason a new year seems to call me to take stock with a more pronounced and meaningful focus.

Some of my thoughts are about plans for the coming year, but mostly my mind goes to how I want to be. Since I am always experiencing, learning and growing as a result of the choices I make, it is my desire to have whatever I experience serve me in some way.

To help myself get the most out of each year, I create a phrase or motto that I refer to frequently (especially when I slip off course). This year my saying is "Thank you". I love the simplicity of those two words, yet feel a lovely and powerful sense of peace and joy when I focus on thankfulness. I have learned that one cannot feel negative emotion at the same time as being grateful, so focusing on saying thank you in my mind for the many things in my life that I am deeply grateful for is bound to help me return to peace.

Knowing there are also likely to be some events that show up on my path in 2010 that are challenging and difficult, I also want to say "Thank you" then. If I see all of my life experiences as stepping stones that propel me forward, being able to say "Thank you" for all that occurs, since it all ultimately helps me grow, is likely going to make those bumps in the road, easier to take.

I suppose this is a case of not judging something to be good or bad, but to feel unconditional gratitude for it all.

As I stand in the present moment, I can imagine that 2010 will likely be a memorable year with much to be grateful for.



No comments: