Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Life via the Remote


I hear comments about life from people of all ages such as "I want to put my life on hold" or "I wish I could go back in time to when I was young" or "I wish I could just take a break from life", or "I look forward to the future when _______(fill in the blank) happens".

We all know what it's like when our day to day existence can seem overwhelming and we need a break. Or perhaps we miss something or someone from our past, or we tend to focus on the future as the time when things will finally be better.

Imagine what it would be like if you had the opportunity to run your life via a Remote...similar to a DVD Remote, where you could hit whatever button you wanted and have it directly affect the pace and even the time frame of life.

I'm sure PAUSE would be used most often. Just giving yourself enough time for a breather and to rest a bit before moving ahead to the next life experience.

The REWIND and FAST FORWARD are likely to get a fair amount of use too since we tend to put a lot of our attention to events that have gone by or look ahead planning how we want our life to be someday. Of course, if we have fears of the future, then we would avoid FAST FORWARD and stick to PAUSE or REWIND.

I'm sure STOP would be a last resort and not really necessary since we would tend to PAUSE for extended periods of time if necessary.

Well, I don't know about you, but I'm happy to have my life live out its course without interruption, replays, or skipping past some potentially wonderful in-between years. The truth is we never know what adventures lie before us. When we are truly living every experience (challenges and easy times ) we are growing and learning each step on our path. It is all of the stuff of life that teaches us how to be better at being who we are.

When we are living in such a way that we are fully present and open to all that life has to offer, then we will be tuned in to peace and joy. So what button would you push for peace and joy? Simple....that would be PLAY.

No comments: