Saturday, November 22, 2008

The Lesson of the Pebble


Earlier this morning I was out for my usual walk. It was cold....about 25 degrees, so I was dressed warmly and committed to go the distance. Within a quarter mile from my home I felt a pebble in my shoe. It seemed to be right under my heel so I felt it with each step. I continued to walk along another quarter mile with it eventually affecting my gait as the discomfort increased. Finally, I stopped and took off my shoe and removed the culprit of my discomfort, allowing the rest of my walk to be much more enjoyable.

As I got back up to a quicker pace, I wondered why I didn't pay attention to the source of my discomfort sooner. Did I hope it would go away if I simply ignored it? Did I see stopping and taking a moment to remove my shoe to not be worth the bother? Do I believe I deserve to hurt or have my walk be challenged?

Well, as I pondered the lesson of the pebble, it became clear that my behavior in this case sometimes occurs in other areas of my life. It seems it is a common habit among us humans to ignore that which is uncomfortable. We can tend to tolerate many things that can often be easily attended to, but we don't take the time to give an issue our attention. Instead we plod along with a pebble in the shoe of our life, sometimes silently suffering, and other times outwardly complaining.

The lesson for me is by simply being present to whatever is on my path (or in my shoe), the sooner I can move on with more comfort and more joy. It simply does not make sense to suffer. No one wins and I am not happy. Since my life's focus is to "feel good", I plan on attending to my pebbles sooner. How about you....what pebble is calling for your attention?

1 comment:

Kathleen Richardson said...

This entry is so on target for me. I still have occasional, residual pain from a previous surgery. It strikes when seated and laying down. I often just sit there, or lie here, feeling sorry for myself.

Lately, I've been putting on the brakes to my pity party and getting up to move around as soon as I feel any discomfort.

Life is too fagile to ignore the signs. If one way is not working, try another. Moving more often is working for me.

Thanks for the reminder, Kate.