Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mother and Child





In a world where things change all the time, there are some things that will always be the same. Today, which is Mother's Day, the thing of which I am referring to is the love of mother and child. I am a child and a mother, so I know what I'm talkin' about.

This picture was taken at the adoption hearing for my son, Alan. He was eight months old and had been with us for six months. I can remember the relief of knowing that legally he was ours. Of course, he was ours the first time we held him at the age of eight weeks, but on this day it became real on paper.

It is hard to describe the power of love when you are given the gift of a child, although every mother reading this knows what I am trying to say. The really remarkable phenomena about the love of mother and child is that if relationships are maintained and are allowed to grow as both mother and child mature. Then love evolves too.

My son is no longer in my direct care. He does not depend on me or my husband to care for him, but he does know we will never cease to care about him. Alan has been living independently for quite awhile and still knows he can count on us to support him, no matter what he chooses to do in his life or where his path leads. He'll be celebrating his 28th birthday this month while completing his Army basic training.

As a child, I also know that love can grow and evolve. My Mom is 91 and now lives nearby in an assisted living facility. She's been my Mom for 56+ years and I am still learning and being inspired by her love of life and of me. She doesn't take anything too seriously and has seemingly added to her longevity and good health with her optimistic attitude. When we get together, we both know that we can count on each other, no matter what. I wanna be like her when I grow up.

Yes, this mother/child love thing we celebrate on Mothers Day is pretty sweet. Like so many things that are worth having, as long as we cherish it, maintain it and grow it, it will always be a source of joy.

No comments: