Thursday, May 14, 2009

Wake Up and Smell the Lilacs



It is definitely lilac season in Wellsboro. I could have missed it, had I not awakened from my state of non-presence on my walk this morning.

It was 6:30 a.m. and after walking my husband to work, I continued my four mile trek about town. I was deep in thought, rehearsing my lines for an upcoming play this week-end, making my mental to-do list for the day, and essentially totally non-present to the beauty around me....that is until I got a beautiful whiff of lilac.

It was almost as if I was startled back to the beauty of reality by the unmistakable scent. I looked to the side of the road and there was a line up of several lilac bushes, all in full bloom. Of course, I had to stop and linger for awhile, appreciating this lovely scent of May.

Once I woke up I was then alert for the next lilac bush that would appear on my path. I wove in and out of side streets, walked the main boulevards and even through a few backyards, on my search for more lilacs.

Sometimes I fall asleep in life and can miss some lovely moments. Thankfully, there are certain things that remind me to stay awake. Lilacs are one of those things.

No comments: