Sunday, August 17, 2008

Polite Politics

I always keep my distance from any sort of political arguments and mud slinging that we typically see during a presidential race. It saddens me to see how desperate and low the fight can get.

Last evening I watched a very pleasant alternative. Rev. Rick Warren hosted a forum for both Senator McCain and Senator Obama to be interviewed separately in his church in Lake Forest, California. Both candidates received equal time and attention and were asked the same questions.

What I immediately noticed was how relaxed both candidates were during their interviews. It was very compelling to watch. Since both candidates knew they were in a safe space and were not going to be attacked (Rev. Warren was a gracious host and interviewer), it seemed they were able to show more of who they are and even be a bit vulnerable, without being defensive.

The result was a clear opportunity for the senators to share their political views, opinions, visions and even a bit about what makes them tick. The audience was able to witness a calm, polite and relaxed forum enabling all to hear what was being shared minus any negative attacks.

I can't help but imagine what it would be like if all of our country's issues were managed in a respectful setting such as this, where all involved are on their best behavior and all opinions can be expressed without interruption. I would have a greater interest in politics if this was the case.
Since I'm a great one for holding high ideals, I think I will add this one to my list!

No comments: