Monday, December 8, 2008

No Hub in My Bub


Typically at this point in the holiday season, I have much on my plate and am feeling overwhelmed at varying degrees, depending on the day. A term many of us refer to that seems to capture us like fish in a net, is the Holiday Hub Bub. Every year we may tell ourselves we are going to keep things simple and not lose our sense of joy by doing so much, only to find we somehow get caught up with the doing of Christmas rather than truly experiencing and appreciating the holiday.

For the past 8 years I have been more and more mindful of taking the hub out of my bub, only to find I still get hooked into doing things I think I should do rather than what I truly want to do. I have noticed, however, that my hub level has gotten lower and lower. I only bake the cookies I want to, rather than feeling obligated to do everything I have always done. My list of those to shop for has decreased significantly. My husband and I are not over-scheduled with parties to attend. I may or may not send cards this year. Instead of giving my time to shoulds, I am paying attention to putting my attention to what truly pleases me and brings joy rather than stress.

A remarkable result is I'm noticing the long list of things I held in my mind has been exchanged for one thing at a time. In other words, when I am shopping, I am fully present and enjoying my shopping. When I am baking, I am fully present and enjoying my baking. The bottom line is by being present with what is on my holiday plate in that moment and not stressing over that which is yet to be completed, feels good. The overall benefit I am experiencing is everything I want to get done is getting done, yet I feel relaxed and calm in my process. In fact, I have felt so spacious, I had to stop and think if I was missing some vital part of my holiday preparations.

I realize I have another 2 1/2 weeks to go, but am feeling confident I can maintain this one-thing-at-a-time mentality and only doing that which feels good.

I'm seeing (and feeling) clearly that presence this Christmas is much more desired than presents .

No comments: